Tuesday 25 February 2020

Tool Box Tuesday #1

I spent some time a few weeks ago and modified an Engineers Square.  I milled the thickness of the head such that it sticks out only 0.045" from the beam on either side.  This makes scribing or laying out on thin material much easier, as the blade can fully rest on thin sheet stock.  I will put it to good use on single sheathed, board by board boxcar patterns.

I also machined a small photo etch bending tool.  Its about 2" long.  I also own a 5" bender made by the small shop but I wanted something smaller that is easy to hold in one hand.  It also works great for snapping brass strips.  I accomplish this by scribing the brass in the bender and then bending it back and forth a couple of times.


1 comment:

  1. Ryan - Very nice!
    For those who don't have access to machine tools, there are a few commercial options to consider:

    Thin Beam Square: https://www.micromark.com/Thin-Beam-Square
    The Bug Hold and Fold: https://thesmallshop.com/products/sms002-the-bug-hold-fold

    Looking forward to the next Toolbox Tuesday!

    .vp

    ReplyDelete