Wednesday 26 February 2020

Missouri Pacific 1932 ARA Boxcar - Part 2

 The Atlas under frame has basic molded detail.  I upgraded it to better match the prototype with Tichy components mounted on folded brass brackets.  Phosphor bronze wire for the various pipes and rods was used.

 Another unique item to these cars, is the use of a pressure head brake cylinder.  The cylinder has a bracket on the back to hold the rear brake lever.  I modified a Tichy brake cylinder with some bits of styrene and harvested rivets to represent the lever bracket.

 I further corrected the centre sill by adding a flange on the bottom of each of the Z-26 channels and rivets on the cross bearers.  The train line was installed after everything else, because I forgot to do it at the beginning of the under frame work. I did this with short pieces of styrene rod, fitted between the cross ties and cross bearers.  I designed and 3D printed some pipe tees and used one to attach the train line to the pipe leading to the dirt collector.



 The ladders were also upgraded with attachment brackets made from 0.005" styrene and harvested rivets.  Yarmouth sill steps were modified and installed to match the prototype steps.

  These cars featured a Universal brake housing and wheel.  The housing is from a DA set and the wheel is a modified Kadee Universal.  The modifications to the wheel was to add 5 holes, in the middle solid section to represent the 10 slots on the prototype.  No manufacture offers a M1704 Universal brake wheel as of yet.  The running board support was replaced with Yarmouth offerings.  I scratch built the tack boards and route card holders. The retainer valve was located in a bit of an odd location, above the ladder and required some tight bends in the pipe to match the prototype install.



 The MP and its subsidiary lines 1932 ARA box cars used a bit of an odd arrangement for the brake step.  The lower brake step supports extend down two ribs below the platform.  To capture this detail, I removed the supports from a Yarmouth Model Works brake step and made new ones from styrene strip and harvested rivets.  The photo details the other changes to the car end.


 I bent up and soldered some brass cut lever brackets, and bent my own levers.  Air hose brackets from Yarmouth were used with Hi-Tech rubber hoses.



 The car side is complete with harvested and Archer rivets added.  Next up is cleaning, prime, paint, and decals.  The odd cross section of ladder rungs are bugging me though.  I may replace them with 0.010" styrene rod.






5 comments:

  1. What size brass rod did you use for your brake rigging? I need to add some to my cars and am not sure what the appropriate size is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use 0.010" for the rods, 0.0125" for the pipes and 0.020" for the trianline.

      Cheers

      Ryan

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete